You may know that I am married to magician Marshall Brodien. Marshall is the creator of TV Magic Cards and Marshall Brodien magic sets. He also played the clown/wizard character Wizzo for 26 years on WGN TV’s Bozo Circus Show.
In our 18 years of marriage, I’ve entertained a steady stream of guests here to see Marshall and his magic, assisted Marshall on stage a couple of dozen times, and have attended countless magic conventions with him. All this magic got me thinking about how it’s influenced me. Here are my top ten ways.
Mary Doyle Brodien’s Top 10 Ways You Know You are a Magician’s Wife
You know you are a magician’s wife when:
10. There is a magic museum in your home
9. Your ceilings are decorated with playing cards
8. You act surprised when you see the same trick for the hundredth time
7. You are shopping and notice clothes that would look good on stage
6. You discuss eyeliner and face powders for reducing shine with groups of men
5. Everyone in your household, including the family hamster, is part of the act
4. A romantic dinner out includes disappearing salt shakers and card tricks for the wait staff
3. You’re not opposed to your husband coming at you with swords
2. You look at a box and wonder if you could fit in it
And the number one way you know you are a magician’s wife –
You don’t consider it abusive if your husband ties you up, stuffs you into a cloth bag, and locks you in a crate.
©2013, Mary K. Doyle
(Photos by Stephanie Maurie)